Bass setup

Go down

Bass setup

Post  g00eY on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:24 pm

This is how I've set up the bass to run into the system. The GK head can serve as a preamp and that will send a decently EQ'd signal to the board via the direct out that is built in. I'm using a XLR --> 1/4" to go into the amp from the DI box. I would suggest that everything from there on out be EQ'd flat because I think the GK will provide better bass-suited EQing than the Mackie board or DBX can.

It's hard to tell from my perspective on stage what it sounds like in the congregation, but whenever I'm not playing I notice that the bass has a pretty muddy signal. There is no clarity and is more of a boom. Clear definition is what we should aim for for the bass in a praise and worship setting. Here are some basic settings (that should still be tweaked) that will get us closer to what we want:

Lows at 10:00
Low mids at 2:00
High mids at 2:00
Highs at 10:00

Boosted mids and cut everything else should get us a sound that cuts through.

I think new subs would greatly help the situation because my cab that we are using right now is NOT a PA sub and is not designed to handle more than 200 watts continuously. I think we seriously need to look into purchasing subs for the church that are designed for PA and can push a decent amount of air to fill the sanctuary.

Yea. I got bored from doing my Philosophy homework, so there that is. Comment and discuss if you please.
g00eY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

boink

Post  lingpiduh on Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:30 pm

I scanned what you wrote and I don't think I have any idea what's going on..although I prolly should since that's my major T_______T

lose Sad

lingpiduh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bass setup

Post  g00eY on Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:37 pm

What's your major?

Well to be fair, I don't have a life. I sit on the toilet and I think of ways to make bass playing more confusing for everyone but me.
g00eY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

EE

Post  lingpiduh on Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:41 pm

I'm Electrical Engineer, so the same major as the guys who design all the noise filters and amps and matching impedances on your cables to make nice sounding stuff. Sadly enough, after three years of "higher education" I don't think I really know very much at all. I mean, I know more than the typical person about electrical engineering and stuff, but not nearly enough to really do stuff. T__T

lingpiduh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  g00eY on Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:30 pm

I think my dad has his Ph.D. in EE, though I'm not sure. Regardless, he seems to know a lot of electrical engineering.
g00eY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

qsf

Post  lingpiduh on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:40 am

sweet diddles
where does ur dad work?

lingpiduh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  g00eY on Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:13 pm

He went to U of I for agricultural engineering so he works at John Deere.
g00eY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

sf

Post  lingpiduh on Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:31 pm

cool beans

lingpiduh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  poofdavie on Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:51 pm

wow i dint know he was at uiuc in ag E

poofdavie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  daylight4449-keith on Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:29 am

I was looking at your bass EQ settings and I don't think the Mackie board is set that way. I believe the High is around 10 but the lows is around 2. If we can get one of the base players listening during worship practice, then let's tweak the EQ to get this punch versus muddy sound.

daylight4449-keith

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  g00eY on Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:02 am

I will be there on Saturday during practice (if I'm not playing), so I can lend an extra pair of ears. I think a big problem is the Squier Jazz Bass that I used to play and David plays right now. It just sounds... cheap, if that makes sense. It's very hard to EQ the bass to be growly instead of muddy, but I think it should be doable.
g00eY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  poofdavie on Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:45 pm

i agree with alex, I also think the Squier J bass is the source of alot of that issue-

Im going to bring my Fender in and see if it has any better results next time i'm on set too

poofdavie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  g00eY on Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:15 am

I think I found a good setting with my MusicMan so far. Lots of dialed up bass up to about 2:00 - 2:30 and high/low mids set back to about 12:30 - 1:00. Treble cranked back a little bit to somewhere around 10:00. I will continue to tweak over the rest of Uprising and I'll mark my settings with some yellow tape or something. Then Dave can set his settings EQ and gain wise and mark those with a different color tape.

I think it would be best to just leave the settings on the Crate all flat. It won't really matter since we're only using it for monitoring purposes.
g00eY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down